A/Professor Phil Dowe
Reader in Philosophy
Office: E313, Forgan Smith Building (1)
Phone: +61 7 3365 2099
BSc, University of NSW
MA, Macquarie University
PhD, University of Sydney
Philosophy of Science, Metaphysics, Introduction to Philosophy.
Philosophy of Science, Early Modern Philosophy, Science and Religion, Metaphysics.
Current Research Projects:
Time, Causation, Identity, Chance.
Please see Associate Professor Dowe's personal webpage for publication lists and online papers.
Selected Recent Publications:
Journal articles, book chapters, proceeding papers and reviews
- “Proportionality and Omissions” Analysis 70:1-5, 2010.
- “The Causal-Process-Model Theory of Mechanisms” forthcoming in P. McKay, F. Russo and J. Williamson, eds, Causality in the Sciences, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Darwin, God and Chance” forthcoming in Jonathan L. Kvanvig (ed) Oxford Studies in Philosophy of Religion Volume 3, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Common Sense, Relativity and Theories of Time” in Vanderbeeken, R. and D’Hooghe, B. (eds) Worldviews, Science and Us: Studies of Analytical Metaphysics. A Selection of Topics From a Methodological Perspective. World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore, 2010, pp. 32-43.
- “Every Now and Then: A-theory and Loops in Time” in Journal of Philosophy 106:641-665, 2009.
- “Would-Cause Semantics” in Philosophy of Science 76:701-711, 2009.
- “Causal Process Theories” in H. Beebee, C. Hitchcock, and P. Menzies (eds) Oxford Handbook of Causation, Oxford University Press, New York, 2009, pp 213-133.
- “Absences, Possible Causation, and the Problem of Non-locality” (2009) Monist 92:24-41.
Other Activities and Service:
- For details of RHD supervision, please refer to Associate Professor Dowe's UQ Researchers profile