Dr Geoff Ginn
|Dr Geoff Ginn|
Senior Lecturer in History
Deputy Director, Centre for the Government of Queensland
History Honours/PGCW Advisor
Office: E327, Forgan Smith Building (1)
Phone: +61 7 3365 6407
Phone: +61 7 3365 6407
HIST2404 Imperial Britain
HIST2312 The History Makers
HIST2702 The City in History
WRIT3613 Making History
HIST6690 History Honours Seminar: Victorian Legacies
History and heritage, public history in the Queensland setting, history of cultural policy, cultural philanthropy in late-Victorian Britain.
Current Research Projects:
- Culture, Philanthropy and the London Poor, 1880-1900
- Beneath Brisbane: the archaeology of a city’s history (collaboration with Queensland Museum)
Selected Recent Publications:
- Archangels and Archaeology: J.S.M Ward's Kingdom of the Wise Brighton: Sussex Academic Press, 2012.
- Geoff Ginn, Hilary Davies and Brian Rough (eds.), ‘A Most Promising Corps’: Citizen Soldiers in Colonial Queensland, 1860-1903 Brisbane: Colonial Forces Study Group, 2010.
Journal articles, book chapters, proceeding papers and reviews
- ‘Impressions and inscriptions: making Brisbane Town’, Queensland History Journal 21, 12 (2013) 791-808.
- ‘Leichhardt’s colonial panorama: social observation in his Australian diaries’, Memoirs of the Queensland Museum: Cultural Heritage 7, 2 (2013) 561-74.
- ‘Holy ground and mortal promises: the campaigns for the Mothers’ Memorial, Toowoomba’, Journal of Australian Studies 34,3 (2010) 331-346.
- ‘J.S.M. Ward, ‘Bishop at Large’: ‘Orthodox Catholicism’ and church history in interwar Britain’, Crossroads 5,1 (2010) 45-57.
- ‘An ark for England: esoteric heritage at J.S.M. Ward’s Abbey Folk Park, 1934-1940’, Journal of the History of Collections 22,1 (2010) 129-140.
- ‘Cilento’s Centenary: The Triumph of his Topics’ Queensland Review 16,2 (2009) 57-72.
- ‘South Bank and the Queensland Cultural Centre: Constructing a Visual History’ in New Ground: Construction Photographs by Peter Liddy Brisbane: P.Liddy, 2007, pp. 19-26.
- ‘Answering the ‘Bitter Cry’: Urban Description and Social Reform in the Late-Victorian East End’ London Journal 31 (2006) 179-200.
- ‘How to Dig a Dump: Strategy and Research Design for Investigation of Brisbane’s 19th Century Municipal Dump’ Australasian Historical Archaeology 22 (2004) 15-26 (with E. Jeanne Harris).
- ‘Gifts of Culture in the Late-Victorian East End’ University of Queensland Historical Proceedings 14 (2003) 13-31.
- ‘Motive Power: Animating history at the North Ipswich Railway Workshops’ in Liddy, Peter (ed.): Industrial Cycle: photographs of the North Ipswich Railway Workshops Brisbane: CDE Communications, 2003, pp. 19-25 (with Greg Hallam).
- ‘Sherds of Early Brisbane: History, Archaeology and the Convict Lumber Yard’ Journal of the Royal Historical Society of Queensland 18,2 (2002) 49-67 (with E. Jeanne Harris).
- ‘Strange Bedfellows: Green Hill Fort, Archaeology and Tourism’ Australasian Historical Archaeology 20 (2002) 83-91 (with Gordon Grimwade).
Other Activities and Service:
- As Executive Director of Histori|co Research Services (a trading name of UniQuest P/L), Geoff manages a range of commercial consulting projects undertaken for external clients.
- Dr Ginn is a member of the Board of the Queensland Museum, the Judging Panel for History, Queensland Premier's Literary Awards, and the Editorial Board of the Queensland Historical Atlas.
- For details of RHD supervision, please refer to Dr Ginn's UQ Researchers profile
- Museum sheds light on history: article from Caboolture News
- Historian tells storey of abbey and its founder: article from Sunshine Coast Daily