Please carefully read through the following requirements. If any further advice is required, contact the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
MILESTONE (2): MID-CANDIDATURE REVIEW
Must be submitted no later than 10 working days before Milestone Presentations
- to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer
- in addition, for the purposes of publicity, please submit a seminar title and abstract
- if you have any problems you must contact the Classics Research Higher Degree Advisor as soon as possible
Student Academic Portfolio
This document must be updated to reflect your progress since Confirmation, and must be signed by your Principal Advisor before it is submitted to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
This document must demonstrate:
- you have a sharply defined topic with parameters of research clearly established;
- you have an awareness of critical issues and debates pertaining to your thesis topic;
- you have an appropriate and rigorously developed research plan and strategies;
- there is a logical shape or structure to your research; and
- you have realistic and adequate aims and objectives for the period leading up to the thesis submission.
Candidates at the Mid-Candidature Review Milestone are required to submit a chapter of their thesis in a relatively complete and polished state.
- The research document must be a draft thesis chapter. Where possible, please provide a complete chapter.
- The research document should be a minimum of 5,000 words in length for PhD candidates; 3,000 for MPhil candidates.
- A relevant bibliography must be provided.
- This document must read coherently, be referenced properly, and be proof-read.
At the Mid-Candidature Review Milestone you should be able to demonstrate in the written component of the submission.
- Completion of an appropriate portion of the thesis to PhD or MPhil standard depending on candidature.
- Realistic and adequate aims and objectives for the period leading to the Thesis Review.
- All Research Higher Degree candidates, at all Milestones, are required to do a 30 minute oral presentation (normally including ten minutes for questions from the audience).
- Oral Presentations and Interviews are scheduled by the Discipline Research Higher Degree Advisor and will take place in the Classics Research Seminar Series which takes place on Fridays during semester.
- In the oral component of the submission you should show an ability to deliver a presentation of academic conference standard:
- you must pay attention to the length of your presentation
- use handouts and PowerPoint where appropriate
- The oral presentation can be a version of the chapter/part chapter you submit, but it must be worked up into an appropriate form for delivery as specified above.
- You may present a seminar paper which is different to your chapter; if you choose to do this, please make it clear at the top of the document.
- Please submit the written version of this paper with your other documents.
All Research Higher Degree candidates, at all Milestones, are required to attend a 30-minute interview with a Milestones committee. The committee will, after interviewing the candidate, provide written feedback and advice.
Your Milestone Committee will advise you of their decision at the end of the interview, and will elaborate in written feedback within two weeks of the interview.
- If your Milestone Committee agrees that attainment of the Milestone should be granted, a form to this effect is completed and sent to the Graduate School.
- If your Milestone Committee does not consider that you have fulfilled the requirements for the attainment of a Milestone, the committee will detail, in written feedback, what you must rectify or improve on in your submission. You then have the opportunity to address the concerns of the committee, usually within a maximum of three months. Your committee will set out a timeline at the end of the interview if you are required to resubmit documents. The committee may or may not require a further interview.
- In very rare cases, the committee may recommend termination of candidature if the candidate has not met the requirements after two attempts, and if the committee can see no likely prospect of the candidate being able to do so.
Please read through the information below to ensure you are fully informed of the procedure:
University-wide policy, Research Higher Degree Candidature Progression and Development: https://ppl.app.uq.edu.au/content/4.60.05-research-higher-degree-candidature-progression-and-development
UQ Graduate School Completing Each Milestone: http://www.uq.edu.au/grad-school/completing-each-milestone