Please carefully read through the following requirements. If any further advice is required, contact the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
MILESTONE (1): CONFIRMATION OF CANDIDATURE
Must be submitted no later than 10 working days before Milestone Presentations
- to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer
- in addition, for the purposes of publicity, please submit a seminar title and abstract
Student Academic Portfolio
This document must be completed and signed by your Principal Advisor before it is submitted to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
This document must demonstrate:
- you have a sharply defined topic with parameters of research clearly established;
- you have an awareness of critical issues and debates pertaining to your thesis topic;
- you have an appropriate and rigorously developed research plan and strategies;
- there is a logical shape or structure to your research; and
- you have realistic and adequate aims and objectives for the period leading up to the mid-candidature review.
There are no formal requirements for how extensive the bibliography should be, but as a guide, PhD students tend to provide evidence of having consulted around 80 pertinent works; MPhil students around 50.
- All Research Higher Degree candidates, at Confirmation, are required to do a 30 minute oral presentation (normally including ten minutes for questions from the audience).
- Oral Presentations and Interviews are scheduled by the Discipline Research Higher Degree Advisor.
- In the oral component of the submission you should show an ability to deliver an interesting and engaging presentation that builds on the submitted Academic Portfolio. You should try to go beyond this material, even if initial ideas and findings are tentative and qualified.
- Please pay attention to time limits and presentation style. Use handouts and/or PowerPoint where appropriate.
- An expanded version of your oral presentation must be submitted at the same time as your Bibliography and Academic Portfolio.
- It should be a minimum of 3,000 words in length.
- This version should look like a research paper/essay and demonstrate your methodology and your ability to use primary and secondary sources critically etc.
- If you are not ready to present on a particular aspect of your thesis, concentrate on presenting a version of the literature review that will appear in your thesis.
All Research Higher Degree candidates, at all Milestones, are required to attend an interview up to 50 minutes with a Milestones committee. The committee will, after interviewing the candidate, provide written feedback and advice.
Your Milestone Committee will advise you of their decision at the end of the interview, and will elaborate in written feedback within two weeks of the interview.
- If your Milestone Committee agrees that attainment of the Milestone should be granted, a form to this effect is completed and sent to the Graduate School.
- If your Milestone Committee does not consider that you have fulfilled the requirements for the attainment of a Milestone, the committee will detail, in written feedback, what you must rectify or improve on in your submission. You then have the opportunity to address the concerns of the committee, usually within a maximum of three months. Your committee will set out a timeline at the end of the interview if you are required to resubmit documents. The committee may or may not require a further interview.
- In very rare cases, the committee may recommend termination of candidature if the candidate has not met the requirements after two attempts, and if the committee can see no likely prospect of the candidate being able to do so.
Please read through the information below to ensure you are fully informed of the procedure:
University-wide policy, Research Higher Degree Candidature Progression and Development: https://ppl.app.uq.edu.au/content/4.60.05-research-higher-degree-candidature-progression-and-development
UQ Graduate School Completing Each Milestone: http://www.uq.edu.au/grad-school/completing-each-milestone