Please carefully read through the following requirements. If any further advice is required, contact the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
MILESTONE (3): THESIS REVIEW
Thesis Review Documents
Must be submitted no later than 10 working days before Milestone Presentations
- to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer
- in addition, for the purposes of publicity, please submit a seminar title and abstract
Student Academic Portfolio
This document must be updated to reflect your progress since the attainment of your mid-review milestone, and must be signed by your Principal Advisor before it is submitted to the School Research Higher Degree Administrative Officer.
This document must demonstrate:
- you have a sharply defined topic with parameters of research clearly established;
- you have an awareness of critical issues and debates pertaining to your thesis topic;
- you have an appropriate and rigorously developed research plan and strategies;
- there is a logical shape or structure to your research; and
- you have realistic and adequate aims and objectives for the period leading up to the final submission.
Candidates at the Thesis Review Milestone are required to submit a completed chapter of their thesis with bibliography.
- The chapter should be a minimum of 5,000 words in length for PhD candidates; 3,000 for MPhil candidates.
- A complete chapter must be provided.
- A relevant bibliography must be provided.
- At the Thesis Review Milestone candidates must be able to demonstrate in the written component of the submission the completion, or near-completion, of a thesis suitable for examination.
- This chapter must be coherent, proof-read and referenced properly.
- All Research Higher Degree candidates, at all Milestones, are required to do a 30 minute oral presentation (normally including ten minutes for questions from the audience).
- Oral Presentations and Interviews are scheduled by the Discipline Research Higher Degree Advisor.
- In the oral component of the submission you should show an ability to deliver a presentation of academic conference standard eg. pay attention to the length of your presentation, (so avoid reading out a lengthy chapter; you may need to create a specific presentation suitable for oral delivery), pay attention to time limits, use handouts and PowerPoints where appropriate.
- Please submit the written version of this paper with the documents listed above.
All Research Higher Degree candidates, at all Milestones, are required to attend a 30-minute interview with a Milestones committee. The committee will, after interviewing the candidate, provide written feedback and advice.
Your Milestone Committee will advise you of their decision at the end of the interview, and will elaborate in written feedback within two weeks of the interview.
- If your Milestone Committee agrees that attainment of the Milestone should be granted, a form to this effect is completed and sent to the Graduate School.
- If your Milestone Committee does not consider that you have fulfilled the requirements for the attainment of a Milestone, the committee will detail, in written feedback, what you must rectify or improve on in your submission. You then have the opportunity to address the concerns of the committee, usually within a maximum of three months. Your committee will set out a timeline at the end of the interview if you are required to resubmit documents. The committee may or may not require a further interview.
- In very rare cases, the committee may recommend termination of candidature if the candidate has not met the requirements after two attempts, and if the committee can see no likely prospect of the candidate being able to do so.
Please read through the information below to ensure you are fully informed of the procedure:
University-wide policy, Research Higher Degree Candidature Progression and Development: https://ppl.app.uq.edu.au/content/4.60.05-research-higher-degree-candidature-progression-and-development
UQ Graduate School Completing Each Milestone: http://www.uq.edu.au/grad-school/completing-each-milestone